They say football is the ultimate team sport, well for these guys it’s a family tradition. The NFL has been ridiculed over the years for its inability to let the players have fun. One thing everyone can agree on is how football continues to grow with entire families across the world. We have been lucky enough to watch these families in the NFL. The Buccaneers could continue that trend in the 2020 NFL Draft.
In, 2019, the San Francisco 49ers selected Ohio State defensive end NICK BOSA with the second overall pick, and he joined his brother, JOEY BOSA (No. 3 overall in 2016, San Diego Chargers), and his father, JOHN BOSA (No. 16 overall in 1987, Miami) as first-round selections. Additionally, Pittsburgh selected linebacker DEVIN BUSH JR. 10th overall in 2019, who joined his father, DEVIN BUSH SR. (No. 26 overall in 1995, Atlanta), as a first-round selection in the NFL Draft. Bosa and Bush became the 10th and 11th players to join their fathers as first-round selections since 1967.
This year, LSU tight end THADDEUS MOSS and Minnesota defensive back ANTOINE WINFIELD JR. are hoping to join their fathers as first-round selections. Pro Football Hall of Famer RANDY MOSS was selected 21st overall by Minnesota in the 1998 NFL Draft while ANTOINE WINFIELD SR. was chosen with the 23rd pick by Buffalo in the 1999 NFL Draft.
The father-son combinations to each be drafted in the first round since 1967:
FAMILY NAME FATHER DRAFT SON DRAFT
- George Adams, 1985 – Jamal, 2017
- John Bosa, 1987 – Joey, 2016 and Nick, 2019
- Devin Bush, 1995 – Devin Jr., 2019
- Craig Heyward, 1988 – Cameron, 2011
- Mark Ingram, 1987 – Mark Jr., 2011
- Archie Manning, 1971 – Peyton, 1998 and Eli, 2004
- Bruce Matthews (Hall of Fame 2007), 1983 – Jake 2014
- Clay Matthews, 1978 – Clay Jr., 2009
- Kellen Winslow (Hall of Fame 1995), 1979 – Kellen Jr. 2004
Below are a few of the connections between prospects eligible to be selected in the 2020 NFL Draft and family members with NFL experience:
PLAYER FAMILY MEMBER & NFL AFFILIATION
- TE Jacob Breeland: Father, Garrett, was drafted by the Rams in 1986 NFL Draft.
- LB Thomas Barber: Son of former RB Marion Barber Jr. (7 seasons) and brother of former RB Marion Barber III (7 seasons).
- LB Cam Brown: Cousin, Andre Davis, played WR in the NFL for 9 seasons.
- QB Kelly Bryant: Cousin is former WR Martavis Bryant.
- DB Javaris Davis: Cousin of former DB Vontae Davis (10 seasons) and TE Vernon Davis (14 seasons).
- DB Trevon Diggs: Brother of Buffalo Bills WR Stefon Diggs.
- WR Devin Duvernay: Cousin is 2019 No. 1 overall selection QB Kyler Murray.
- LB Troy Dye: Brother, Tony, played 1 season for the Bengals.
- ST Blake Ferguson: Brother, Reid, is the Buffalo Bills long snapper.
- DB Jordan Fuller: Brother, Devin, was the Falcons 7th round draft pick in 2016.
- DB Harrison Hand: Cousin of former DL Turk McBride.
- OL Charlie Heck: Father, Andy, was a 1st round pick in 1989 and played 12 seasons. Is currently the offensive line coach of the Kansas City Chiefs.
- OL Matt Hennessy: Brother, Thomas, is the long snapper for N.Y. Jets.
- DB Lavert Hill: Brother is current Seattle Seahawks DB Delano Hill.
- WR Isaiah Hodgins: Father, James, was an FB for 8 seasons (Won SB XXXIV with Rams).
- TE Brycen Hopkins: Father, Brad, played OL for 13 NFL seasons.
- WR Trishton Jackson: Cousin is former WR Braylon Edwards (8 NFL seasons) OL Austin Jackson Grandfather, Melvin, was a 12th round pick in 1976 and played 5 seasons.
- WR Van Jefferson: Father, Shawn, played WR for 13 seasons. Is currently the assistant head coach – offense and wide receivers coach for N.Y. Jets.
- WR Jauan Jennings: Father, Bennie, spent time with the Buccaneers.
- WR Collin Johnson: Father, Johnnie, was a 1st round pick by the Rams in 1980 and played 10 seasons.
- LB Clay Johnston: Father, Kent, was an NFL strength and conditioning coach for over 20 years.
- TE Cole Kmet: Father, Frank, was drafted by the Bills in the 1992 NFL Draft. His uncle, Jeff Zgonina, who played 17 seasons in the NFL, won Super Bowl XXXIV with St. Louis and is currently the assistant defensive line coach for the Redskins.
- QB Steven Montez: Father, Alfred, spent time with the Raiders.
- TE Thaddeus Moss: Father, Randy, was a 1st round pick by the Vikings in 1998 and enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2018.
- RB Zack Moss: Cousin of former NFL WR Santana Moss (14 seasons) and Sinorice Moss (4 seasons).
- DB Julian Okwara: Brother of current Detroit Lions DE Romeo Okwara.
- WR Aaron Parker: Uncle, Walter Easley, played FB for the 49ers.
- WR Dezmon Patmon: Uncle, DeWayne Patmon, played LB for the Giants.
- RB La’Mical Perine: Cousin of current Miami Dolphins RB Samaje Perine and current Jacksonville Jaguars LB Myles Jack.
- WR Michael Pittman Jr.: Father, Michael, played RB for 11 seasons (Won Super Bowl XXXVII with TB).
- WR Jalen Reagor: Father, Montae, played DL for 9 seasons (Won Super Bowl XLI with Colts).
- DB J.R. Reed: Father, Jake, played WR for 12 seasons and his uncle, Dale Carter, played CB for 12 seasons. Cousin of Nigel Warrior.
- OL Jon Runyan: Father, Jon, played OL for 14 seasons.
- OL Alex Taylor: Uncle, Pierson Prioleau, played DB for 12 seasons.
- K Tommy Townsend: Brother, Johnny, was the Raiders’ 5th round draft pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.
- K Michael Turk: Nephew of punter Matt Turk (17 seasons) and OL Dan Turk (15 seasons).
- DB Nigel Warrior: Father, Dale Carter, played CB for 12 seasons. Cousin of J.R. Reed.
- WR Cody White: Father, Sheldon, played DB for 6 seasons (Spent 19 years with the Detroit Lions front office).
- DB Antoine Winfield Jr.: Father, Antoine, was a 1st round pick by the Bills in 1999 and played 14 NFL seasons.
2020 NFL DRAFT FOOTBALL IS FAMILY
2020 is also expected to become the fifth consecutive draft with at least three quarterbacks selected in the first round, tied for the longest such streak in the common draft era (2002-06:five consecutive drafts). If multiple quarterbacks are selected in the top10, it would become the sixth consecutive draft to do so, the longest such streak in the common draft era.
Source: The NFL